Saturday, June 2, 2007

Recriminate by Minji Kang

INT. IN LUCIA’S ROOM – DAY (SLOW)
LUCIA BONSAIRES, a young lady in her twenties, is getting ready to go outside. She looks at herself into the mirror putting on red lip gloss and black suit. She walks out of her room. .


INT. IN THE TAXI – DAY (FAST)
Lucia looks at the invitation card and outside through the window, there are people smiling, laughing, and they seem happy.


EXT. AT THE CHATAQUA PARK IN THE WEDDING CEREMONY – DAY (SLOW)
Lucia gets out of the taxi. People in the park all look very happy and joyful. Lucia sits down in one of the chairs. JOHN MORTON and JADIE CLINTON come out following the white silky carpet decorated with flowers and fabrics holding hands together. John is very handsome and tall and has blond hair and blue eyes; however he seems like an irresponsible person. Jadie is a beautiful young lady in her twenties with sharp nose and brown curly hair. John is in nice black tuxedos, and Jadie is in a beautiful white wedding dress that goes down to her toes. When everybody is clapping, but Lucia does not and stays still.











EXT. AT THE CHATAQUA PARK IN THE DARK FOREST – LATER (FASTER)
The ceremony is over and Lucia gets out of chair quietly and head to the dark woody side of the park. There, John and Lucia run into each other. Lucia glares at him and John tries to act like normal. Suddenly, Lucia grabs him by his neck and starts yelling. A few seconds after she started screaming, she realizes something strange; John won’t move, even his eyes. He falls down on his knees right away and Lucia realizes he is dead. She looks around and finds Jadie who watched everything that had happened. Jadie tries to run away but Lucia grabs her and blocks her mouth when she tries to scream. Suddenly, screaming stops and when Lucia takes her hand off of the face, Jadie’s face stays frozen with wide-opened eyes and lips. Lucia freaks out and runs away and people start to come to see what’s happening. They see the dead body and Lucia running away. The wedding ceremony becomes a mess.
INT. IN A MESSY AND DARK ROOM – NIGHT (FAST)
Lucia looks at herself into a dirty mirror with water spots on it. Then, she looks for the yellow book for a number and calls to “Beauty Clinic New York”.


INT. AT THE BEAUTY CLINCIC, IN THE OFFICE – DAY
GORDON BONSAIRES is in his forties however is very handsome and tall. Wearing a white hospital gown, he is looking through some documents on his desk. He seems very busy. There’s a knock on the door.

Lucia comes in.

GORDON
(with big eyes, drops his pen down on the desk)
Hello! My… niece Lucia! What brings you here?
LUCIA
(smiles and then a little seriously)
Uncle, I came here after a deep thought, to ask you for a favor. You see, I have been hiding in a tiny underground room for almost half a year in a small town by myself, and you know why. I was looking at myself in the mirror one day and thought that I should not live like his anymore. I looked so… weak and poor…and hopeless.

Silence.

LUCIA
(looks into Gordon’s eyes)
So Uncle, help me. Please? I want you to change my life. All you have to do is just change how I look. Into a totally new person. I promise you. I will live with honesty and faithfulness. You can watch me. I am a different person now.


INT. IN THE SURGERY ROOM – LATER (FAST)
Gordon and his surgeons are working very hard and finally, Gordon takes his gloves off and wipes his forehead.




INT. IN THE PATIENT’S ROOM – DAY
Lucia is lying on the bed and there are Gordon and his nurses around the bed. Lucia slowly opens her eyes.

GORDON
Can you see me, Lucia?

LUCIA
(looking with barely opened eyes)
Yeah… a little bit… It’s hard to open my eyes…

GORDON
That’s normal. You will feel better later.
(looks around and sees his nurse)
Alright, I need to talk with this patient lying down right here now, so please. All of you get out and I will be out very soon.

All the nurses go out.

LUCIA
Thank you so much, uncle. I don’t know how to thank you.

GORDON
(with a smile)
I think you should look at yourself first before you say that.

Gordon takes the mirror off from the wall and brings it to Lucia. Lucia looks into the mirror and gasps.

LUCIA
Oh, uncle. I can’t believe this. You are a very talented man, and I really mean this!

GORDON
Now, Lucia. We do not have much time. There is one more thing for me to tell you.
(takes out an ID card)
I have made this card for you. It’s a new ID card with your new name. Your name from now on will be Miranda Chavez.

They both look at the ID Card and look at each other, and they smile.

LUCIA
Uncle Gordon, I will be a good girl and I will never disappoint you. I will soon get a job and earn a lot of money. I owe you my entire salary. I am serious!





GORDON
(with a little smile)
That’s a fair offer. Well, I’d better get going because I have a next patient who’s waiting for me.
(with a serious look)
And remember, Lucia. You will always have to be careful. Call me if anything happens, OK?

Lucia nods and hugs him.


EXT. ON THE STREET – DAY
Miranda is walking on the street and passes by a big building that says “SUN”. She stops and finds a poster posted on the building. The poster says that the model agency, Sun, is looking for New York’s next top model. A woman in a nice suit comes out of the building. She looks like she is in a hurry. Lucia grabs her.

MIRANDA
Excuse me, ma’am.

WOMAN
(glances at Lucia from head to toe)
Yes?

MIRANDA
I just saw this poster and was wondering if I can apply for this audition.

WOMAN
Well, it is very competitive to get into our agency as you know, however it looks like you will have some hope here.
(takes out a packet out of her bag)
Here is an application form. Fill this in right now. I am on the way to the meeting with the president just now.

Lucia fills the documents. The woman looks at her watch very impatiently.

MIRANDA
I am very sorry. I am almost done.

WOMAN
(with a sarcastic smile)
It’s alright. Take your time.
MIRANDA
(finishes her writing)
Here! I filled in everything I can… Well, yeah. I filled out everything on that packet and… it says that you need a picture of me?

WOMAN
Yes, you have any picture of you with you right now?
MIRANDA
(hesitates and then with a worried face)
No I don’t have any with me right now.

WOMAN
Well… you know what? It’s alright. I have my cell phone right here.

The woman takes out her phone out and takes a picture.

WOMAN
I will call you within two weeks.

MIRANDA
Thank you so much ma’am.

WOMAN
(with a smile)
I will see you soon.

The woman grabs a taxi. Miranda waves her a good-bye until the taxi makes a left turn. She jumps up and down like a little kid, and realizes everyone’s looking at her. She calms herself down and walks like a model on the stage.


INT. IN A ROOM – DAY
Miranda is in her bed, sleeping very deeply. Her phone rings and rings but she doesn’t seem to wake up. Ring stops and after a few moments later, rings again.
MIRANDA
(looks for her phone with closed eyes and pushes talk button on the phone)
Hello…?

WOMAN(VO)
Hello. Is this Miranda Chavez?

MIRANDA
(scratches her eyes)
Yes. Who’s this…?

WOMAN(VO)
I am calling from Sun, the model agency you applied for a few weeks ago.

MIRANDA
(jumps out of her head and sits up fixing her hair)
Yes, yes! Hello, this is Miranda Chavez. How are you doing?

WOMAN(VO)
Very well, thank you. Can you come to the office today? We would like to have a talk with you. The president of our agency was very interested in you after the meeting that day.



MIRANDA
(with excitement)
Oh, really? OK. I’ll be there! Like in… an hour!

WOMAN(VO)
Very well. I will see you soon, Ms. Chavez.

Miranda gets out of her bed quickly and sits down in front of her mirror. She fixes her hair with hair rolls, and puts on make-up. She opens her closet and takes out all her clothes. She puts on this and that looking at the mirror. She takes out her hair rolls and throws them all around the floor. She gets out of her room and come back running inside again and takes out a pair of stockings out of her closet.


EXT. ON THE STREET – LATER
Miranda gets out of the building and grabs a taxi.

MIRANDA
(waving hard)
Taxi! Taxi!

A taxi stops and Miranda opens the door and hops in.

MIRANDA
To “Sun” Building, the best model agency in New York, please!


INT. IN THE OFFICE – DAY (SLOW)
Miranda comes into the office and when Ralph looks up he finds Miranda. For a while, Ralph stares at her for a long time not saying anything. Then the secretary introduces Ralph to Miranda and Miranda to Ralph. Ralph congratulates her to become one of the models in his agency. He tells her all about her job and the next day’s schedule.


INT. IN THE OFFICE – NIGHT (FAST)
Ralph’s secretary gives Ralph an invitation to a dinner party. The secretary tells him that the letter says that he needs a partner. They joke around about who he could take to the party with him.


INT. IN THE CAR – NIGHT (FAST)
As Ralph is driving through the highway, he ponders about something really deeply and then suddenly makes a sudden turn to head off to somewhere. He arrives at one huge building.


INT. IN A STUDIO – NIGHT
Miranda is wearing a beautiful pink evening gown and posing for the camera.


PHOTOGRAPHER
(holding a camera and taking pictures)
That’s good. Nice. VERY nice. Yes. That’s it.
(puts the camera down and claps)
Alright, alright. That’s good enough for today. FANTABULOUS job to day, Miranda!
MIRANDA
Thank you, thank you!

Ralph comes in.

PHOTOGRAPHER
(hugs Ralph)
Ah, who’s this! Ralph Waltzman, my old fella! Long time no see! How are you lately?

RALPH
Well, I’ve got this beautiful young lady here as our new model and it has been a great success, hasn’t it?

PHOTOGRAPHER
Yes, yes! She is AMAZING. Can’t wait till I see her walking on the showcase of Chanel, Gucci, Prada… Oh my, I got to be going. I have an appointment in an hour! Good-bye.

The photographer runs out grabbing a key on the table.

RALPH
OK then Ms. Miranda, would you like a ride?



MIRANDA
I’m fine. Thank you though, Mr. Ralph.

RALPH
I am going near your house. It’s the same direction. I can take you there.

MIRANDA
(with a little smile)
You know where I live?

RALPH
(blushed and embarrassed)
Well, yes. You’re the treasure of our agency. What would I not know about you.

MIRANDA
(laughs)
Alright, then.

They get out of the studio and get on the car.


INT. IN A CAR – NIGHT
RALPH
Miranda, I am going to this party this weekend held my many celebrities and agencies from many different countries… uh, and I have these tickets.

Miranda looks at Ralph with a confused face.

RALPH
OK so I was wondering if you would like to go with me to this party… so would you like to go?

MIRANDA
(smiles)
Definitely. I would love to go, Mr. Ralph.

RALPH
So I guess I will see you tomorrow?

MIRANDA
OK, see you tomorrow.

Miranda gets out of the car and Ralph sighs.


INT. IN A ROOM – NIGHT
Miranda is wearing a beautiful red evening gown and putting on red lip gloss. Then, she puts on mascara and foundation. Suddenly, the bell rings on the door, so she runs to the door and opens it.

MIRANDA
You’re here already!


RALPH
Yes, of course. Here is a flower bouquet for you.
(hands her a beautiful bouquet of red roses)

MIRANDA
(looks at the flowers and then looks at Ralph)
Wow, thank you so much… These are just so beautiful!

RALPH
Well, we’d better get going here. Are you ready?

MIRANDA
Yes, just a moment please.

She runs to her room and picks up a little box on her desk.
The two walk out of the house and get on the car.

MIRANDA
This is for you.
(hands Ralph the little box)

RALPH
What’s this?
(opens it and sees a necktie pin)
Hey… when did you prepare this? This is gorgeous.




MIRANDA
Let me put in on for you.
(she puts the pin on his tie and smiles)
It looks really good on you.

RALPH
(looks into Miranda’s eyes and says with a cheesy voice)
Thank you so much.

INT. CITY HALL – NIGHT
They drive to the city hall and get out of the car. Then, they go into the ball room and there are already so many people inside.

BRAT 1
Hello, Mr. Waltzman. How have you been doing?

RALPH
I’ve been doing very well actually. Oh, let me introduce our new model, Miranda Chavez. She will be taking shots in Paris with Marc Jacobs and Monsieur Jacques.

BRAT 1
(peeks Miranda up and down with a disappointed face)
Oh, well I’d better get going. See you later Mr. Waltzman.



GENTLEMAN 1
Who’s this! Ralph Waltzman, it’s been almost ten years since we’ve met! You still working for the agency here?

RALPH
Well, actually, I became the president of an agency. It’s called the Sun.

GENTLEMAN 1
The Sun?! You are the president there? Time flies… It’s just like yesterday when I think of the time we first met, eh? You sometimes come to visit me to Slovenia, okay?
(stares at Miranda)
Now, who’s this? Your new girlfriend?

RALPH
No, sir. She’s our new model from this season. Her name is Miranda Chavez.
(whispers to Miranda)
He is the one who held the party tonight. Say hello to him.




MIRANDA
Hello, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am having so much fun here.

GENTLEMAN 1
What a beautiful young lady you are. Well, enjoy the party. I should say a greetings or something right?
(laughs and disappears)

MIRANDA
Wow. Isn’t he like a famous actor or something? He looks really familiar.

RALPH
He was a producer who made many famous movie hits ten years ago. Remember, Forever in the blues, If only, Justice and the Truth?

MIRANDA
Are you serious? He is the producer of all three movies? That’s so cool!






RALPH
Not just those three. He made much more, but I can’t remember. Oh, shoot. Can you wait here? I need to talk with that person over there.

MIRANDA
Yeah, sure.

RALPH
I’ll be really quick. (disappears)

Miranda wanders around looking here and there. She picks up a chocolate dipped strawberry on the table and finds a fountain outdoors. She goes there.

MIRANDA
Wow… It’s so beautiful.

A few moments later, Ralph comes.

RALPH
Hey… I was looking for you!

MIRANDA
Oh, I am sorry. I just found this place and…

RALPH
It’s alright, it’s alright. No worries.

MIRANDA
Well, thank you so much for bringing me here. It’s been a great night meeting all these people.

RALPH
It’s not a problem. We should come to this kind of events pretty often.

Silence.

RALPH
Well… uh I was thinking… since you have been with me for tonight, what do you think about being together often from now on?

MIRANDA
You mean… like as in a date?

RALPH
(mumbles and blushes)
Well… I guess… yeah. As in a date.





MIRANDA
(smiles and jokes)
Of course. But you have to promise me to make my time with you the happiest than ever.

RALPH
I promise you.

They both laugh.


INT. IN THE OFFICE – DAY (FAST)
Ralph is looking at Miranda’s documents and finds her birthday is next Thursday. Then, he gets a phone call from his best friend, Charles. Charles tells him that they haven’t been seeing each other for a long time and to come over to his office.


INT. IN THE OFFICE –DAY (SLOW)
Ralph talks about Miranda and explains how she reminds him of his mother. Then, Ralph mentions that next Thursday is Miranda’s birthday and he wants to do something special for her. Charles suggests a surprise party. When Ralph is saying good-bye to his friend, he sees a list of criminals known as the “Black List.”


INT. IN A CAR – DAY (FAST)
Ralph calls his secretary to get some stuff for the party.



EXT. IN FRONT OF A BUILDING – DAY (FAST)
The secretary brings all the stuff, Ralph tells her to move Miranda’s schedule to this evening.


INT. IN MIRANDA’S ROOM – NIGHT (FAST)
Ralph decorates the room with balloons and Christmas lights. He finishes everything and realizes he needs to plug in to make the lights on. He looks behind a wardrobe to see if there’s an outlet and finds a dusty album. Inside, he sees a familiar face that he has seen before. Then he remembers the black list at Charles’s office. Suddenly, there is a beeping sound of the button keys on the door. It was Miranda coming into the house. Ralph gets out through the window with a picture in his hands. Miranda looks at all the mess and finds an album opened wide with balloons and Christmas lights. She finds a necktie pin that she gave Ralph on the dinner party night and a missing picture in the album. Wind blows very hard through the window and curtains are dancing.


INT. IN THE OFFICE – DAY (SLOW)
Ralph is trying to decide if he should forget about Miranda’s past and move on or think of Miranda’s past seriously and report it to the police.


INT. IN A STUDIO – DAY
Miranda is taking photo shots with a very uncomfortable face, and the photographer is taking many pictures with his camera.




PHOTOGRAPHER
(puts his camera down)
Stop, stop, stop! What’s wrong, Miranda? This is not how you do normally. More expressions, more feelings! Got that?

MIRANDA
(quietly)
OK.

She tries again but still with no emotions.

PHOTOGRAPHER
(throws his camera on the floor and with exaggerating hand gestures)
Hey, hey, hey! This is not what I want, OK? Today’s shot is about happiness! Joy! And love! What’s wrong with you! You’re not doing your best here.

MIRANDA
I AM trying my best here, OK? (sighs)
You know what, I need to take some rest today.

She grabs her purse and walks out of the studio.


INT. IN MIRANDA’S ROOM – NIGHT (SLOW)
Miranda is looking at the mirror. She realizes that something’s wrong with her nose. She touches it this way and that way but still it looks like a grandma’s nose. She falls down on her knees and starts crying.


INT. IN THE OFFICE– DAY (SLOW)
Ralph looks very tired. He is working on some documents but pauses and thinks about something very deeply. Then he works on the documents again but puts them down again. He grabs his car key and head outside.


EXT. IN THE PARKING LOT – NIGHT (FAST)
Ralph gets on the car.


INT. IN CHARLES’S OFFICE – NIGHT (SLOW)
Ralph just says that he was stopping by to say hi and they talk a little bit. Charles goes outside to get a phone call, and Ralph takes the picture out from his wallet and compare with the picture on the Black List. Sadly, the lady on his picture and the one on the Black List look like the same person. When Charles comes back in, Ralph quickly puts the picture back in. Charles suggests going out for a dinner, but Ralph says no and leaves the office.


INT. IN THE OFFICE – NIGHT
Miranda comes in to the office.

SECRETARY
Hello, Ms. Chavez.

Miranda ignores her and walks into the room. Nobody’s there.

MIRANDA
(with a disappointed tone and face)
Where’s Mr. Waltzman?

SECRETARY
He’s not here at this moment.

MIRANDA
Where is he?

SECRETARY
I am not sure, but I think he said he’s going to the FBI to meet somebody.

Miranda’s eyes get big and she runs into the office and her personal documents, resumes, and newspaper articles are all on the desk. Miranda stares at them for a while.

MIRANDA
(with a shocked face talking to herself)
This cannot happen.

She runs out of the office.






INT. IN A CAR- NIGHT ( SLOW)
It is raining a lot and Ralph is driving home in the highway. He looks at the picture again for a long time. Then with a face that seems like he has fixed his mind, he crumbles the picture and throws it away. He parks his car in the parking lot.


INT. IN A HALLWAY – NIGHT (FAST)
Ralph goes up to his floor and Miranda is in front of his door waiting for him. He tries to act like normal and walk towards her. She comes close to him and says that she never knew he would betray her like this. Ralph is very confused because he never thought of betraying her and he was never going to. He tries to figure out what is going on and ask her what’s wrong but she doesn’t listen to him. They argue and suddenly, Miranda kills him with a knife. They both gasp and without even carrying back her weapon, Miranda runs down the stairs and leave.


INT. IN A HALLWAY – MORNING (FAST)
The neighbors see the Ralph’s dead body and Charles comes running. He sees the dead body and tries to find what has happened. Charles sees a knife and puts it in a zip lock bag.


INT. IN A LABORATORY – EVENING (FAST)
Charles is working with his teammates with computers and documents. Then they find out that the murderer is Ralph’s girlfriend, Miranda.


INT. IN A ROOM –NIGHT (FAST)
Charles looks through Ralph’s room but does not find anything that could help him with his investigation.
INT. IN THE OFFICE – NIGHT (FAST)
Charles looks through Ralph’s office and takes some documents about Miranda Chavez.


INT. IN A CAR – NIGHT (FAST)
Charles looks carefully the inside of the car. He finds a crumbled photo at the back seat and he sees Lucia BonsAires, one of the people on his Black List. He looks at all the documents of Miranda and goes over them. His phone rings and hears an interesting news; the fingerprints of Lucia BonsAires and Miranda Chavez are identical.


INT. IN A ROOM – DAY (FAST)
Miranda is in her room watching a new that talks about her and all her crimes. Next to her, there is a newspaper that has an article about her on the first page. She turns off the TV.


EXT. ON A STREET – DAY (SLOW)
Miranda is walking down the street around the New York City and thinks back of the time when she was at the wedding. She now realizes that she should have let the couple go on their wedding day in the first place and just congratulate and bless them. Then she wouldn’t have done plastic surgery, become a model, meet Ralph, and let him find everything about her past and the truth; she could have lived a quiet good life. Now, she feels like there is no hope. When she is thinking about all this, FBI helicopters and cars spotlights and put her in the center of the street. Miranda does not seem surprised or anxious; she looks very calm and sad in a way. She knows that she deserves this so she does everything that they tell her to do. They put handcuffs around her wrists and get in the police car.

INT. IN A JAIL – DAY (SLOW)
Miranda is wearing the jail uniform with her numbers on. It is the time for the picture before she goes inside the jail. She at last looks very peaceful and free. Miranda’s lips move as she smiles a little bit, and the camera flash goes off.

No comments: